Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Friday, April 2, 2010

"Have I Ever Met Him?"

April 2, 2010

My best friend, Thom, came to visit this week. I told Mom and Dad he and his daughters would be coming the day before he arrived. The following are excerpts from conversations with Dad regarding Thom's visit.
Dad- “Who is he?”
Me- “Our friend Thom…the one that’s from Tampa.”
Dad- “Have I ever met him?”
Me- “Yes, Sir. Remember, he was here with us for Christmas?”
Dad- “I remember him. What’s his name?”
Me- “Thom”
Dad- “Where is he from?”
Me- “Tampa”
Dad- “I knew that. That’s near Bradenton. That’s where I was born.”
Me- “Yes, Sir. I know.”

The next day, Dad asked me over breakfast if there was anything going on today.
Me- “My friend Thom and his girls will be here today.”
Dad- “Oh, have I met him?”
Me- “Yes, Sir.”
Dad- “Where is he from?”
Me- “He lives in Tampa.”
Dad- “When did I meet him?”
Me- “Well, Dad, he’s been here a few times. He was here for Christmas.”
Dad- “I don’t remember him.”
Me- “You will when you see him again. I’m sure”
Dad- “What does he do for a living?”
Me- “He works for Wingstop.”
Dad- “I ate there once. I don't remember it."
Me- "They sell chicken wings."
Dad- "When I was growing up nobody wanted to eat chicken wings. That's what the poor folks ate."
Me- "Isn't it funny how that happens?"
Dad- "Didn’t Richard work there?”
Me- “Yes, Sir. That’s why Richard lived in Phoenix last year. He was working there.”
Dad- “Who is coming today?”
Me- “Thom and his girls.”
Dad- “Where is he from?”
Me (with a sigh)- “Tampa”
Dad- “I knew that. That’s near Bradenton.”
Me- “Yes. Sir”

So, Thom arrives and Dad is cordial, “Good to see you again.” And as soon as he is out of sight, Dad turns to me and asks, “Haven’t I met him before?”
Me- “Yes, Sir.”
Dad- “I thought so. Just checking.”
Me- “It’s alright, Dad.”
Dad- “I think there is something wrong with my memory.”
Me- “It’s possible.”
Dad (giving me a big hug)- “I forget things sometimes.”
Me- “I know. But it’s ok. That’s what I’m here for. I’ll be your memory for you.”
Dad (wink)- “Somebody needs to be.”
Me- “I know, Dad.”
Dad- “Where is your friend from?”
Me- “Tampa.”
Dad (with a huge grin)- “I knew that. I just wanted to see if you remembered.”

3 comments:

  1. :)
    i love the last line....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari - I just LOVE you. This is such a good thing. Del and Bill are so blessed to have you with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo funny but sad at the same time. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete