Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Days Are Good

March 22, 2010

Today was a good day, even though it didn't start out that way. Mom got up very confused and disoriented and didn't recognize me until halfway through breakfast. Dad decided to stay in bed when she got up (in and of itself a bad sign). By the time breakfast was over, she was cognizant again and spent a couple of hours happily getting ready to leave for her doctors appointment. It was a rare day when everyone was out of pocket (it was Melissa and the kids moving day). With everyone helping with the move, I had no choice but to take Dad with us. The fun part comes in where we have about an hour long drive to get there and Dad is in the backseat.

We have the same conversations every time we travel this road. "I will never forget the day Dr. B told me I wasn't allowed to drive anymore. Now everything has changed...so much has changed." He heaves a big, deep sigh that wrenches at your insides before launching a new subject. "When we first moved here..." "Have I ever told you about..." "Where is Richard going to work?"

The last one is easy since we are going to go right past it. Silly me for saying, "Dad, that's where Richard is going to be working."
Dad immediately responds, "HOOTER'S? That's where they have those NAKED DANCING GIRLS!".
"Dad," I tell him laughing, "They are NOT NAKED!"
"Ok, fine!" Dad interjected, "Half naked dancing girls. I remember when they said they were going to open this place a lot of influential people were against it. I just didn't think we needed DANCING GIRLS here."
I pointed out that the majority of the girls on the sidewalk were wearing LESS clothes (in their bathing suits) than what the Hooter's girls wear. And I pointed out the girls DO NOT DANCE. When I looked in the rearview mirror, he was smiling.

Mom wrinkled her nose and stated, "I'm not at all sure I would want MY husband working around a bunch of "those" kinds of girls..." I look over at her just in time to catch her grinning wink. It is very difficult to drive when you have tears from laughing in your eyes.

A little while later, Dad is talking about the kids and how cute they are when he suddenly says, "Kids misbehave when they want attention and they get it. I misbehave when I want attention but you people just ignore me. But on the bright side, I can misbehave all I want to and I don't even remember it half the time." It turned out to be a very pleasant ride with a lot of laughter.

When we arrived at the doctor's office, Dad insisted he would take Mom in while I found a parking place. I asked him twice if he knew where he was going and he assured me he did. I got her out of the car and settled into her wheelchair. I then showed him how to manage the portable oxygen tank while pushing the chair. He brushed me aside, "I know what I'm doing. I've done this before".
Actually, he hasn't ever had to deal with the tank and frequently reminds us that he has no idea how to even work it. So against my better judgment, I left it to him too get them where they were headed while I parked.

As I turned the corner into the main hall, I saw Dad pushing her toward me from the direction of the OB/GYN clinic. As was my worst fear, he was lost and hadn't been able to find the right office. So, I pointed the way and excused myself to go to the ladies room. When I returned I was informed that Mom wanted me to go into the office with her and that Dad would stay in the waiting room. Sirens went off in my head!! Leaving Dad alone could easily turn out to be a bad idea. I tried to delicately suggest he go in with us but she was insistent.

As we were returning to the waiting room Mom said, "I hope Dad's ok. Maybe we shouldn't have left him alone." I wanted so badly to say, "Wow, do ya think?" but instead, I said, "He's either wandered off or he's asleep. We'll know in a minute." And sure enough as we turned the corner, there he was, sound asleep in a chair facing the doorway. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment