Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Goodnight, Sweetheart

Tonight after dinner, Dad announced he was going to watch some T.V., something he normally does. I came downstairs to take a bath after letting him know I’d be back in a little while. While I was in the tub, I would have sworn I heard Dad talking to someone. Unable to imagine who it might be, I hurried to finish and go check on him.

As I went upstair
s I clearly heard him say, “Did you see that, Sweetheart? All you ever see on The Weather Channel are people trying to sell you stuff and tornadoes.” I popped my head over the balustrade to see him sitting in his easy chair. From my perspective, I couldn’t see anyone else in the room (it is a HUGE open-air room). As I quickly scanned the room, he turned his head toward the chair closest to him and said, “I’ve really missed watching T.V. with you. I really miss talking to you at night.”

Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked in the direction he was looking. There in the chair Mom always sat in was a framed portrait of her. I ducked back and sat on the stairs for a moment to catch my breath, tears rolling silently down my cheeks, as I heard him say, “Hell, Sweetheart, I just plain miss you.”
Taking a deep breath, I crept down several stairs and made a show of stomping up them. Dad looked at me sheepishly. “I’m not crazy,” he announced quickly, shaking his head. “I just miss her so much. I miss talking to her and watching T.V. with her and seeing her beautiful face.”
Choked up, I could only nod. He struggled to rise from the chair, grabbed his walker and excused himself to go to the bathroom. The instant he was out of the room, I had my phone in my hand and was snapping pictures. I put the portrait back in its normal place and sat down wondering what I would say to him when he returned.
I shouldn’t have worried because he didn’t return. After about 15 minutes, I tiptoed down the hall to find him in bed snoring softly. As I turned away, he made a little snorting noise and called out, “Goodnight, Sweetheart.” He almost always hears me (or senses me) no matter how quiet I am.
With tears in my eyes and a smile on my face I replied, “Goodnight, Dad. Call me if you need me.”
“I will. You call me if you need me. Goodnight, Sweetheart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment