Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Monday, October 22, 2012

It's Sunday and Time Is Marching On...

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Around 3:45 this morning, I called hospice. Dad could no longer swallow and was choking. I knew it was time, but I needed them to tell me it was. The nurse assured me it was time to start administering atropine drops to reduce secretions and a combination of Roxanol and Xanax to keep him pain-free. Because he was in distress, I gave him the prescribed dosage. He settled into a deep and peaceful sleep. For now, he seems to only need the meds every 4-6 hours.


The grandchildren and great-grandchildren that live locally were here most of the day. The children don’t hesitate to run in and out of his bedroom. Little Tyler is only 4 years old and he goes and “checks on” his Pop every 10 minutes or so. I cannot help the smile that crosses my face every time I hear that little voice shout, “Hi, Pop!” when he enters the room. The dog periodically jumps up on the bed and slinks forward to lick Dad’s face. His only living daughter spent a great deal of the afternoon by his side. As these things occur, I am reminded that we are a family and this is life.


It reminds me of all the reasons I had my youngest daughter at home, rather than a hospital. There I was at peace, surrounded by those closest to me. Here he is at peace, surrounded by those closest to him. There a life was welcomed in a virtually pain-free environment. Here a life is waiting to enter the Kingdom of Heaven in a completely pain-free environment.

This is a celebration of life tinged with a hint of great sadness. To lose one you love is always heart-wrenchingly sad. But, there is great joy at the thought of him finally freed from the Alzheimer’s that was slowly destroying him. There is great joy at the thought of him finally being reunited with his beloved bride of nearly 70 years.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it’s going to be another very long night and I’m betting it’s going to end up being just me and him. Together, waiting, as time marches on…

1 comment:

  1. today was a very sad and happy day the joys of life were abundant and the sorrows that follows the end of life were more so than not.today was a day of family unity and support that only love one can share.pop looked at ease today his face said it all.he is waiting to meet his bride he knew we there for him today the twitch in his eye when i called him easy money reaffirmed that he understood me.in his memory the greatest man and hero.we love you.

    ReplyDelete