Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Friday, April 6, 2012

Dark Clouds Over My Head

I have seriously debated whether or not I should write about the following subject. It seems too, well, personal somehow. But I committed myself to being forthright and honest here. As much as I wish it didn’t, it bugs the heck out of me. And I can’t help wondering if anyone else has experienced such a thing…


As children we all have crushes, at some point or another, on an adult who in some way takes care of us or is kind to us. Teachers, preachers, doctors, nurses, neighbors, family friends, etc… they are all targets for admiration, affection, idolization, etc.


Dad is like a child in so many ways. Some are cute. Some aren’t. This crush he has is some of both, but mostly it’s just plain embarrassing. He will profess his undying love for me multiple times a day. He proposes at least once a day (and he is serious). When I gently remind him that I am married to his son, he usually asks me why I would marry Johnny (Johnny is his brother who died at least a decade before I married into the family). I point out I’m married to Richard (his youngest son) and he tells me I should get a divorce and marry him.

When he talks about me to others, he makes me sound like I am perfect. Perfect is something I am clearly NOT. In his eyes, I can do no wrong but that becomes a weighty responsibility in its own right. I make mistakes all the time. I make poor decisions. I am stubborn to a fault. I can be a downright bitch. But Dad never sees any of that because Alzheimer’s has given him the gift of “rose-colored glasses”. He sees what he wants to see about everything and everybody. If the situation is more than the glasses can handle, he simply forgets all about it. I find it very embarrassing for anyone to suggest perfection in another human being.

He is grateful for all I do and communicates it profusely. Now please, don’t get me wrong. It is wonderful to know that someone… anyone… really, truly, honestly appreciates the things you do for them and for others. But being told dozens of times a day is an embarrassment in itself.

I could go on and on here about specific incidents that have made me feel VERY uncomfortable. But, I won’t. Instead I want to focus on the way I handle the whole crush thing. I am gentle and slow my speech and movements down so that he can more easily follow. I thank him (for compliments and proposals alike) and point out that I am his daughter-in-law. He invariably gets sad and says, “I know but I love you and I can’t live without you.” And that, Folks, is why they call it a CRUSH.


I know there is no real solution for the situation. I know he can’t understand just how embarrassing it is for me (and would be for him, if he were cognizant). I know I can’t stop him from any of it. I often wonder if it’s wrong of me to wish I could. I remind myself I should be grateful for these sweet, loving, docile moments (and I’m sure I will be one day). But, right now, they are shadowed too heavily with the clouds of his infatuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment