Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Turns Out I'm Only Human After All

I read an article this morning that really made me stop and evaluate a few things, “Compassion Fatigue Strikes Family, Even Animal Caregivers” by SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES | Good Morning America. The article states that thousands of Americans are suffering from compassion fatigue, a term used to describe the symptoms of secondary post-traumatic stress caused by caregiving.

Caring for others too much can hurt, according to the Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project, no matter how old you are or in what capacity you're providing care. "You take on the pain of others and suffer, bottled up, angry and suppressing feelings," said project founder Patricia Smith. "Your impulse is to rescue. You don't have any personal boundaries, but you become isolated and lose your self-care in the process."

Without paying attention to their own needs, caregivers can turn to destructive behaviors. "It's a natural consequence of stress," said Smith. "In healthy caregiving you are 100 percent present in their care with empathy and compassion. But it's unhealthy when things in your own life are not resolved and you take on their suffering as your own."

More than 65 million Americans, about 29 percent of the population, is providing care for someone who is chronically ill or disabled and spend an average of 20 hours a week looking after a loved one, according to the National Alliance for Caregiving in collaboration with AARP.


Just last night, I melted down emotionally and could not stop the flood of tears that washed down my face. I was on the phone with a friend and I admitted that I find the pain of others quite overwhelming sometimes. I said I wished I could just stop caring so much. I was informed I couldn’t do that because it is WHO I am.
When I got off the phone, I felt a serious need to apologize for breaking down. I mentally kicked myself for allowing the day to “get the best of me”, for temporarily losing control in the face of severe adversity.

I looked back over recent text messages from friends and I realized that when I’m asked “How are you doing?” my replies usually revolve around Dad, Peggy (the 89 yr old lady I work for as an overnight caregiver), the kids, etc. I guess they are my barometer. But I also noticed the number of times certain friends have responded, “But, how are YOU doing?” I know they are genuinely concerned but I don’t want to burden others with my feelings.

I usually reply, “I’m fine, just tired.” There you go, I admit it. I am suffering from Caregiver Fatigue (CF). I also admit to suffering from Superman (or in my case Superwoman) Complex. I find it nearly impossible to admit that life overwhelms me sometimes. I would much rather convince the world and myself that I can handle anything, anytime. I can’t stand to let, what I perceive to be, my weaknesses show except to a VERY select few. This, of course, becomes a factor in the never ending cycle of CF.

I have spent my whole life caring for others. I have always put the needs and wishes of others before my own. I honestly wouldn’t have a clue how to behave any differently. It IS who I am. There comes a point where even I have to realize that it can wreck your emotional health (and in some cases, your physical health as well).

Yesterday, I started my day, after an almost sleepless night with Peggy, to find that she is growing weaker instead of better. (A couple of weeks ago her Home Health nurse recommended that it was time to bring hospice in. Her daughter, who is also her power of attorney, is vehemently against the idea, stating that her “girls”, meaning we caregivers, can handle it). Here, I will go on the record and say that the additional help would be most welcome for all of us.

Add to that… getting potentially bad news and seriously bad news from two different people closest to me.

Then, I spent several hours listening to Dad tell me he thinks “it would just be best to go ahead and die”. If that weren’t enough, he seemed to take great satisfaction in coming up with various ways he could “end it himself”. As much as I know it is his Alzheimer’s talking, I couldn’t help getting upset by it. Not to mention being completely frazzled by trying to keep 4 children out of the room so they would hear as little as possible of what he was saying.

Ok, so reading back through my day yesterday gives me pause. I have every right to fall apart occasionally. I have every right to feel sadness and pain. Maybe, if I claim those rights and get off my own back, I will be able to deal with the stress and fatigue a bit better. I am doing the best I can with all I deal with and I need to give myself a break from judging myself so harshly. I need to stop being my own worst enemy and get off my back a bit. Because in the end, I have to remind myself that I am only human.

1 comment: