Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Friday, February 24, 2012

Sidebars and Med Changes

I think we’ve established that Alzheimer’s is frustrating at best. But sometimes, the sidebars are even worse. In January, Dad’s primary physician and I decided we needed to change his anti-depressant. He had gotten to the point where he was sleeping an average of 19-20 hours a day. When he was awake, he was deep in the throes of a crushing depression. Frequently, he would cry but couldn’t tell me what was wrong.

At the same time, the decision was made to switch him from Aricept 10 to the new Aricept 23. ARICEPT does not cure Alzheimer's disease. All patients with Alzheimer's disease get worse over time, even if they take ARICEPT 23 mg. But it has proven effective in many cases, to slow the progression of the disease. For those who respond, ARICEPT 23 mg may take several weeks or longer to work. Knowing all of this, we began the new drugs.

Since the switches, Dad has been sleeping less and has been more alert. His outbursts of tears are fewer and fewer. He has had fewer delusions and seems to be clearer minded. The down side is, as he frequently remarks, he “feels like shit”. After about 10 days on the new medications, he insisted he needed to go to the hospital. I had just begun cooking dinner so I turned everything off and sat down beside him. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t tell me what the problem was or why he wanted to go to the ER. I decided it was in his best interest to do as he asked.

I loaded Dad and all 4 kids into the car (I dropped the kids of at my husband’s work. I am thankful that I didn’t have to take them with us and thankful that my husband helps when he can) and off we went to the emergency room. When we arrived, I couldn’t tell them any better than he could what the problem was. As soon as he was settled into a room, I stepped out to speak to the doctor. I explained that he has Alzheimer’s and about the recent med changes. With great patience, they began running blood, urine and feces tests. Several hours later, it was clear that his test results were good. They explained to him that the medication changes were probably responsible for the way he felt and that it should improve in 4-8 weeks.

The following week we had an appointment with his kidney doctor. Dad vehemently told him his complaints (he believed that was why we were there). I asked if, perhaps, we should consider changing back. The doctor assured us that he was better off on the new anti-depressant than the old one (in terms of kidney damage) and that it would take several weeks for his system to adjust. Dad was NOT reassured at the news.

We are now over the 1 month mark and he still tells me daily that he feels bad (my wording not his). I keep trying to remind him that we have another month to go in the transition. All of his lab results are amazingly good considering his many health conditions. I wish I could fast forward time for him so that he would feel better, but I can’t. I have to believe that this is all for the best and that the doctors are correct when they say he will start feeling better soon. Sometimes, it is impossible to know what the right thing to do is, but I have to keep trying, praying and believing. There is simply nothing else I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment