Followers

The Twilight Years Are Here

The Twilight Years Are Here

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Little Advice

For those who are caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s:

I make a point of going away for a couple of days every few months. My daughter stays here while I am gone (she is a paid elderly caregiver and Dad responds well to her). I call it recharging my batteries. In my case, I go home to visit my mother and my 92 yr old grandmother, the 2 most influential women in my life. While I’m there, it allows my mother to take a break from caring for my grandmother and gives me an opportunity to spend time with my grandmother. It may not sound like much of a break to most people but it's what works for me. Figure out what works for you then do it, regularly. Preferably before you have a melt down.

Do something for yourself. Make time for yourself. Take care of yourself. It's way too easy to run yourself into the ground when you are providing the kind of care we do.

You can't help the irritation or the frustration you feel. It's a part of our lives. Imagine how frustrating it must be from the person with Alzheimer’s. Alzheimer's is the most frustrating disease I know and that's all there is to it. The trick is to find ways to deal with YOUR angst. Even if it means having someone else come in for a few hours so you can remove yourself from the situation. I frequently run to the grocery store or the pharmacy when my husband is at home just to get away from it all. Some days it's the only hour of the day that I'm not frustrated, irritated or exasperated. But I know it helps keep me sane.

It’s ok to hate the disease. Believe me, you will make mistakes. You are only human. Forgive yourself! What you are doing is the most selfless act of love anyone can ever do for another human being. Don’t judge yourself too harshly. Be your own best friend, not your own worst enemy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I am so glad I read your blog today. I needed it. I have been so irritated and grouchy lately. I also just wrote about my fantasy of escaping to Disneyland with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WildBoyzMommy, Good for you! I can't tell you how many times I've only been able escape into my writing. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete